- "What about us? What about Alice? What would our daughter say if she knew her father sold his soul?"
- ― Wynonna to Doc about being a vampireI Fall To Pieces
Vampires are undead supernatural beings that feed on the blood of the living to survive. They are enhanced species that are dangerous to an average human and have unique abilities special to their species. They are killable but dangerous due to their ability to sway humans with a single touch.
From a physical standpoint, vampires cease to age from the moment of their transformation. They never age and can't be harmed by any mortal ailments or diseases. They can become intoxicated by alcohol. When vampires slip into their vampiric forms, which is usually involuntary and a state they slip into when angered, their eyes change to fiery orange while their pupils expand.
The primary source of substance for a vampire is human blood, either straight from the vein or through a blood bag. A newly transformed vampire has difficulty controlling their thirst for blood and struggles between their instincts to not harm humans and their new instinct to feed. While the vampire Kate drank from humans, Doc Holliday relied on blood bags to stay strong. When he went too long without feeding, he was weakened to the point where a human could render him unconscious with a single punch.
- Unaging: Vampires cease to age from the moment of their transition and are frozen in the age and appearance they had as humans. They can live hundreds of years and not look any older than they did originally. They also resemble humans which allows them to blend in with society without calling attention to themselves.
- Glamour: Vampires are able to glamour a civilian into submission, making the person irrationally devoted to the vampire that glamoured them. The glamour alters the human's perception of reality to the point where they don't mind being sacrificed and willingly participate in death. While glamoured, Nicole Haught knocked Wynonna unconscious, allowing her to be stored in a coffin. This behavior is irrational for Nicole who never would have done such a thing if she weren't under the effects of a vampire's glamour. A being touched by demonic forces may be immune to their thrall. Vampires hold over those they've glamoured are instantly released upon their death.
- Fog Creation: Wherever vampires go, they can produce a purple smoke that lures humans in due to its sexy allure. Once the humans are near the vampires they can glamour them into submission. The fog is used to lure humans and tempt them.
- Enhanced Strength: Vampires have enhanced strength that allows them to lift or throw things that exceed that of human limitations. They can send people flying across a room with a single punch. They have an always-present advantage over a human in a fight, which is part of what makes them such formidable foes. It is unknown if vampires are stronger then Revenants.
- Enhanced Speed: They move at a much faster and quieter rate than that of a human or any other known species.
- Invitation: Vampires need to be invited into a place, whether it be a town or a building. They can't cross the lines of a location they haven't been invited into. The vampires that invaded Purgatory had to glamour Sheriff Nedley into inviting them across town lines and into the Ghost River Triangle.
- Uninvitation: A vampire who has previously been invited into a home can be uninvited by the resident of the home. Doc Holliday was uninvited from entering the Earp homestead by Wynonna Earp after his transformation. However, he could enter the barn on the property without invitation and was able to reside on the Earp property but couldn't enter the actual home.
- Wood: While vampires are stronger then humans, they are still susceptible to wood. They can be easily vanquished by wooden stakes directly to the heart.
- Peacemaker: This mystical gun is capable of quickly killing vampires in a puff of violet smoke and dust.
- Holy Water: The appliance of holy water to a vampire's skin results in burning and agonizing pain. This is due to the fact that vampires are no longer pure humans and their souls are damned. Vampires can also be contained in one area if they are surrounded by an object drenched in holy water. Doc Holliday couldn't pass the rope barrier that Charlie and Wynonna had placed around him, as it was if an invisible wall was stopping him from moving any further. When Charlie disrupted the circle Doc was able to jump over the rope and escape.
- Julian's Ring: The ring can sense when the wearer is impure and burns the skin of those who wear it if they aren't fully human. Doc was unable to wear the ring or touch it without feeling extensive pain and burning.
Notes and Trivia
- Season 3 introduced the species and concept of vampires in its premiere episode, "Blood Red and Going Down".
- Vampires teeth elongate into fangs when they pierce the flesh of humans necks to drink their blood.
- According to Kate, the myth that killing a vampire's sire will turn them back into a human is just that, an incorrect myth.